cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber Switch SMF and MMF need help

mamuroloke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys need help we are planning to purchase fiber switch WS-C3750G-12S-S and i dont know if i can use all together the SMF and MMF? can i use the 10GB module on this switch. many thanks for the help

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You can use SM or MM depending on your optic and distance.  And no, these ports are all Gig interfaces, the 3750G is not capable of doing 10Gig.

Is your fiber MM or SM?

HTH

3750G is now End-of-Life with end of maintenance releases and bug fixes early next year.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As Reza noted, the 3750G-12S uses exclusively 1 Gbp SFPs. The list of compatible transceivers within that family can be found at this link.

If you end up ordering any of the transceivers, I recommend the ones with the part number ending in "D" as they have digital optical monitoring allowing you to read the receive and transmit optical power levels with the "show interface transceiver detail" command.

sir Marvin i received http://www.cisco.com/msgs/403.html#wp162124 try to open the linkyou give.

mamuroloke
Level 1
Level 1

Riza Sharifi thanks for the Info.. that i cannot use the 10GB Module.  i want to use this fiber switch as my backbone both end have the same fiber switch which 1km far away. fiber switch uplink together SM, lets say i use 3 port for Agre and the remaining port i will use as uplink to other cisco switch that has a UTP port for distribution to PC & AP. so can i use SM as uplink to other building and another port use MM to connect on the switch? suggestion is much appreciated.. many thanks.

To uplink to a switch with only copper (UTP) connectors, you can use the GLC-T transceiver. If you have more than one or two of them and are only using the fiber to connect to your second building, then you are better off with a more current model switch that uses mostly copper ports with fiber in an optional module.

Something like the 3750X or 3560X.

The link I posted above requires you to log into Cisco.com.  In any case here are the compatible transceivers for the switch in your original post:

GLC-T (10/100/1000)
GLC-SX-MM
GLC-LH-SM

GLC-SX-MMD
GLC-LH-SMD
GLC-ZX-SM
GLC-ZX-SMD
CWDM SFP
SFP-GE-S
SFP-GE-L
SFP-GE-Z

GLC-BX-D
GLC-BX-U

so can i use SM as uplink to other building and another port use MM to connect on the switch?

Sure, you can use SM to other buildings and MM for switches that are closer and meet the MM specs.

BTW, the link Marvin provided works just fine for me.

Here it is again:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card