Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber uplink on 4500 Switch

Hello,

We have Three locations (A,B,C) across campus. Location A is Main Location, While B & C are remote locations. Distance among all locations approx. 2 miles.

I want 10G Fiber among these three locations. I am taking 4510+E with SUP 7E with Redundant SUP & 10G Fiber line card(X2 10G) at Location A.

At Location B & C, i need Max. 2 Nos. of 10G uplink. i am taking 4507r+E with redundant SUP 7LE. Can i terminate 10G Fiber UPLINK from Location A in to Redundant SUP 7L-E(10G SFP+) at location B & C ??

At one time, Primary SUP 10G uplink should be active & Redundant SUP 10G uplink should be standby. When primary SUP fail, redundant SUP 10G uplink will be active. Is that Possible with this scenario??

Is that possible that at same time, 10G Uplink on both SUP 7L-E be Active??

Thanks Sandeep

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need Single-Mode fibre optic cable running from A to B and A to C.

How you want to terminate them in each premises is up to you.  You have a choice of terminating them as SC or LC.

Your plan will work but has one simple point-of-failure:  Your fibre optic cable.

If someone with a buckhoe doesn't follow the instructions dig up your cable ... So it's best to think of laying two alternate paths to from-and-to Site A.

Another thing, you can use either CWDM or DWDM to "splice" your fibre.

Hi Leolaohoo,

Thanks for the early response.

Yeah, we are planning for SingleMode fiber.

Well, at one end we want 4507E with 10G line card with X2 module   and at other end we want 4507E with 10G SFP+ on SUP.   So, does this Uplink connectivity works or not??

Thanks

sandeep

Well, at one end we want 4507E with 10G line card with X2 module   and at other end we want 4507E with 10G SFP+ on SUP.   So, does this Uplink connectivity works or not??

Of course this will work.  The main thing is the correct 10Gb module.  Of course both the X2 and the SFP+ module need to be LH otherwise it won't work.

How about  X2-10GB-LR (10GBASE-LR X2   Module) at One end & SFP-10G-LR (10GBASE-LR SFP Module) at other end.  Fiber cable is single mode.   Do this Work??

It'll work.

Thanks for it...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you don't have any more questoins/issues, may I request you mark this thread as "Answered" please?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card