Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Fibre uplink 2960g to SGE2010 - 2960g port error disabled?

Hi

I have 3 C2960g-48TC-L switches chained together with fibre uplinks. I want to uplink a SGE2010 48 port through the fibre.

I got it uplinking once, but then the link failed between 2 of the C2960g-48TC-L switches. There's also a copper uplink between one of the C2960g-48TC-L's and a 16 port Linksys switch. I just get error disabled on the fibre uplink (SFP) ports. Does it require a specific config or should it just work out of the box ?  Not all of the switches are running the latest IOS.

thanks

James

5 REPLIES

Re: Fibre uplink 2960g to SGE2010 - 2960g port error disabled?

It might be helpfull to post the cause of error disabling and eventually a small figure.

You can find the cause in the logs or via the command show interface status err-disabled (when the port is err-disabled).

Hi Davy

Switch1#sh int status err-disabled

Port      Name               Status       Reason
Gi0/45                       err-disabled gbic-invalid
Gi0/47                       err-disabled gbic-invalid
Switch1#

I've tried to use MGBSX1's. The 2960g's are linked with a different type. Do the fibre patch cables have to be of the same type across all links? The 2960g's are connected using 62.5 /125. I got the SGE2010 linking using 50 /125 but then it knocked one link out between the 2960g's.

Looking at the above error i'll check the compatibility list to see what will / should work with the switch. Any pointers would be useful.

thanks

James

Are you using 3rd party SFP's?

I found this on the web- not sure if the commands will work:

%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi0/2, putting Gi0/2 in err-disable state

This can happen if you are using third party SFP (non-cisco). The solution is to use undocumented command.
First enter command:

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

and second command:

service unsupported-transceiver

The second command is a hidden command apparently.

Hi

I've seen that but not sure it applies to the 2960 series. The Transceivers are Cisco branded but Linksys compatible. I notice that the others that link the 2960g's together are on the compatible list. They're linked wit  GLC-SX-MM=.

thanks

James

Works !

Many thanks..

Views
Helpful
Replies