Views
Helpful
Replies

Find MAC Address Problem

rln
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently tracing MAC addresses to ports on my 3750G stack. Using the simple sh mac address table set of commands. 

I am having a strange problem though in finding which ports some of my XenServer hosts are using. I know they are in a range of ports on the switches and have the hardware MAC addresses of each port from the server. When I use the sh mac command with those MAC addresses though no results are returned. 

I have double checked with Citrix and Dell and the hardware MAC addresses I am using are correct. Can't understand why they are not showing up on my switches though. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Regards,

Richard

7 Replies 7

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Easiest way to track a device is:

1. Login to the switch/router where the default gateway of the client vlan is.

2. Ping the device from the CLI of the switch

3. Type in 'show ip arp 10.10.10.1' which will show the exact MAC address of the device.

4. Use the MAC address tables to trace the MAC address.

Replace the 10.10.10.1 address with the host address you are trying to trace.

Thanks

Hi,

All of the physical links do not have an IP assigned as they are bonded so I can't use that method. That is what I am struggling with.

Regards,

Richard

What method of bonding do they use?

That could be why the hardware addresses are not showing up.

If they are using something like LACP then the Source MAC may be a single virtual address.

Hi,

They are using active-active not LACP. 

Just trying to find a way to trace the ports without having to go and physically trace the cables.

Regards,

Richard  

I don't suppose you have any other thoughts on this? Or anyone else? I think I might be down to the option of having to physically trace the cables. 

Tracing the cables may be the only sure fire way of knowing for certain.

Are they 'channel-group X mode on' on the switch end?

Thanks

Hi,

We are not using LACP at this time no. 

Regards

Richard

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card