Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Find which port device with IP X.X.X.X is attached to

If I have a device that I know the IP and/or MAC address of, is there an easy way of finding which interface it's attached to?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Find which port device with IP X.X.X.X is attached to

If you use Network Assistant you can do a layer 2 trace from one ip address to another and it will tell you the interface and port that it is connected to. I do it all the time to track down high traffic users that I get from my sniffers.

Gary

4 REPLIES

Depending on the switch IOS versions, you can issue either "show mac" or "show mac-address".

If you only know the IP, you can to the default-router of that subnet and find the mac-address off of the arp table.

Once you know the MAC, you can trace it down with:

show mac-address-table | inc xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

This will limit the output to only include that mac-address (the formating is important as well as the case).

If you have a catos system, it is:

show cam xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

--Gavin Budd

you can issue the command traceroute mac mac

means traceroute x.x.x x.x.x on a switch

If you use Network Assistant you can do a layer 2 trace from one ip address to another and it will tell you the interface and port that it is connected to. I do it all the time to track down high traffic users that I get from my sniffers.

Gary

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content