Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding the IOS License version on switches

twhittle1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to find out if there is a command on switches (specifically the 6509-E with a SUP720-3B) which will show me which license version of IOS I'm using.

I'm not trying to find the name of the code as in the show version command I want to know which license version (If that is the correct phrase) I.E. IP Base, Advanced IP Services etc.

Does anyone know of a command which shows this?

Many Thanks,

Tom Whittle

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

S72033-PK9SV-MZ.122-18.SXD6.bin

Ahhhh ... Ok.  This is what you are looking for:  Guide to Cisco IOS Release Naming

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm assuming the filename was renamed hence knowing what code base is running is fairly difficult?

Another way is checking the file size and matching this file size against the download section within CCO.

You can also check the feature list under feature navigator

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

and try to activate a feature supported only on Advanced IP Services, if fails - you are running IP Base.

With the new licensing scheme under Nexus, ASR, ISR-G2 and newer 3750/3560, the command show license would provide such details. However, we still go with the 'honor' based system on the 6500s with Sup720.

Regards,

Edison

Ven Taylor
Level 4
Level 4

If you do a "show boot", you'll see what image is being used.  Doing a "dir" shows what's stored on your switch.

Looking at the filename, you can determine what license you have.

Courtesy of Packetlife.com:

Ven

Ven Taylor

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am trying to find out if there is a command on switches (specifically the 6509-E with a SUP720-3B) which will show me which license version of IOS I'm using.

I'm not trying to find the name of the code as in the show version command I want to know which license version (If that is the correct phrase) I.E. IP Base, Advanced IP Services etc.

Actually the command "sh version" will tell you.

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXJ1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

So the above output shows I'm running 12.2(33)SXJ1 with Advanced IP Services feature set and license.

Hi All,

Thank you very much for all the helpful comments. The file name is S72033-PK9SV-MZ.122-18.SXD6.bin but this doesn't seem to show which feature set is being used, or perhaps the pK9SV part is a code I'm not familiar with.

I will ask someone to do a show version to see if it says in there which feature set is being used.

If this fails I'll try an Adv IP services feature and see how we go there.

Thanks again!

Tom Whittle

S72033-PK9SV-MZ.122-18.SXD6.bin

Ahhhh ... Ok.  This is what you are looking for:  Guide to Cisco IOS Release Naming

Ah ha, thanks that is very useful. Turns out is is the Service provider feature set.

Thank you all for the replies!

Regards,

Tom Whittle

Thanks for the ratings Tom.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card