Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Finding unused ports

In one of our buildings we have a number of 4500 switches to provide LAN connectivity to users and we are running out of ports. Rather then buying more blades or switches I would like to reuse some ports. So my question is how to tell if a port has not been used in say 4 weeks (to allow for vacations)?

I had thought of clearing the counters and then just coming back in 4 weeks and looking through them but we are talking about 6 4500s with 5 48 port blades in each, that's 1440 ports!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Finding unused ports

You might try this. We find it very useful to find unused ports:

'show int link' to show the downtime for each interface

or

'show int link | inc 168' to show the interfaces that have been down for a week (24x7) which you can extrapolate out to suit your needs.

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Without a Network Management tool, that's the only way to find out port inactivity (clearing out the counters and inspecting them after 4 weeks).

You can be a little creative with the show interface command and only show the input/output lines. Copy and paste this output onto a text editor and do search for 0 value.

That's what I was afraid of, unfortunately we are 'transitioning' to a new management tool and the transition period is starting to feel like permanence.

You might try this. We find it very useful to find unused ports:

'show int link' to show the downtime for each interface

or

'show int link | inc 168' to show the interfaces that have been down for a week (24x7) which you can extrapolate out to suit your needs.

Purple

smodoneel is correct , a show interface link command will show you how long a port has been down so if you have a port that has been down 2 or 3 months if the switch hasn't gone down in that period you can probably surmise the port is not being used . The weird thing is i think only the 4500's have this command and not other IOS devices , it would be usueful occasionally on all switches.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a try.

Well that worked like a charm.

Thank you very much

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content