cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Finding VTP Server

vanagon2tdi
Level 1
Level 1

I have three switches connected together in a VTP domain with two clients and one server. I can login to only one of the clients and need to figure out which of the other two are the server. BUT...I have to figure it out from the one I am logged into. Logging in to each is not an option.

Any idea how I can do this?

CDP is enabled.

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

CDP will not able to find which switch is configured as VTP server in your network. In general scenario VTP client switches are always updated by VTP server switches so you can issue a command "sh vtp status" and in last line of output you will see the ip address of the switch that caused the configuration change to the database which in most of the cases is VTP server switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dave-

Try the command "show vtp status"

CORE11#sh vtp status

VTP Version : 2

Configuration Revision : 198

Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005

Number of existing VLANs : 90

VTP Operating Mode : Server

VTP Domain Name : REMOVED

VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled

VTP V2 Mode : Disabled

VTP Traps Generation : Disabled

MD5 digest : 0x7A 0x5E 0xEA 0x88 0xCD 0xD8 0x29 0x33

Configuration last modified by 10.10.11.252 at 11-8-06 19:33:20

Local updater ID is 10.10.11.253 on interface Vl100 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)

You can see in the 2nd from last line, it states 'who' last modified. Since only a server can, that IP is the VTP server you're looking for.

HTH and please rate.

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dave,

CDP will not able to find which switch is configured as VTP server in your network. In general scenario VTP client switches are always updated by VTP server switches so you can issue a command "sh vtp status" and in last line of output you will see the ip address of the switch that caused the configuration change to the database which in most of the cases is VTP server switch.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Hello all,

I MEAN, can you see vtp status i.e. (server, client or transparent) of other directly connected switch......because you have only access to client switch..........

Please guide.

Regards,

Junaid

HI Junaid,

Refer the Link below:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094c52.shtml

VTP Animation Explanation:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/vtp_flash/

Hope this helps you. PLS RATE if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card