Replies

Firewall / Router / Switch Set Up

rudymg24674
Level 1
Level 1

Firewall: Cisco SA540

Switch: Cisco SG 200-50

Router (DHCP): Wireless-N Gigabit Security Router WRVS4400N

So I work for a small veteran owned company, about 10 employees on site at any given time.

I was tasked with restructuring the IT infrastructure, and bringing it up to date.  I decided to go with gigabit hardware, and rewired with cat6 cable throughout our office - so that's all in place.

I want to make sure though that I have the proper setup for what we have.

This is our general set up line:

T1 Line -> Adtran Router (provided by service provider) -> Cisco Firewall -> Cisco Wireless Router (acts as the DHCP) -> Cisco smart Switch -> Out to the offices...

Originally our router and firewall both shared the same gateway of the Adtran router - when I purchased the new equipment, I wasn't able to do that (I'm guessing that the firewall was letting the router communicate directly with the adtran router outside of the firewall).  So I set the Cisco Firewall's gateway as the Adtran Router, and I set the Cisco Wireless Router (DHCP)'s gateway to the Cisco Firewall's internal IP address.  The Cisco Firewall interal IP is set to 192.168.3.1 and the Cisco Wireless Router (DHCP) is set to 192.168.1.1 and then all of the internal machines are on the 192.168.1.xxx

The only problem I've been running into with this set up are machines talking to each other, such as accessing our server, or accessing the network printers... There is a great communication delay in doing this - so I'm trying to find out if I have this all set up generally correctly.

Thank you!

1 Reply 1

rudymg24674
Level 1
Level 1

I really need help with this - even if someone can just let me know if I'm posting in the wrong forum that would be great?

One of the big problems we're having with the Cisco switch is that the machines are not talking to each other - when I went to view the ARP table int he Cisco Switch web interface it only showed the router - I feel that something is wrong/interfering with this setup, or that the devices are not properly routing through the switch but are instead routing through the DHCP router...

I thought that beacuse the DHCP wireless router was between the switch and the firewall, that people connected via wireless were not reaching the switch in an efficient matter.  I disabled the wireless portion, allowing it still to control the DHCP, and installed a separate wireless access point wired directly into the switch, therefor anyone that access the wireless router has their data transmitted through the switch - but this did not seem to resolve the timeouts associated with finding our print server, our file server, or other computers.

Please help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card