Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

flat network

Hi every body.

I have few questions.

i was reading u flat network.  I googled it and found following:

One diagram shows  a hub    connected to hosts.

So  I thought  a flat network  is a network where broadcast send by one host will be head by all.

Then i saw another diagram ,showing  a switch connected to hosts.

It is possible that a switch might have vlans configured to separate hosts from talking to each other in absence of router/l3 switch. This prompted me to review my original concept based on first diagram.

I am still at loss what is the criteria to declare a network as flat network?

thanks and have a good day.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: flat network

I'm pretty sure the definition of a flat network is a single broadcast domain which can be accomplished with a hub or a switch.

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Sarah

Just to add to Gregory's reply.

A flat network is indeed a single broadcast domain and this can be achieved using a switch or hub. If you use a hub you also have a single collision domain whereas with a switch you don't ie. each switch port is it's own collision domain.

Note also that we often refer to a flat L3 network as one where you have one network range for the whole network ie. it has not been subnetted down.

Jon

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

I'm pretty sure the definition of a flat network is a single broadcast domain which can be accomplished with a hub or a switch.

Bronze

Thanks Gregory

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Sarah

Just to add to Gregory's reply.

A flat network is indeed a single broadcast domain and this can be achieved using a switch or hub. If you use a hub you also have a single collision domain whereas with a switch you don't ie. each switch port is it's own collision domain.

Note also that we often refer to a flat L3 network as one where you have one network range for the whole network ie. it has not been subnetted down.

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content