Views
Helpful
Replies

Force Switch Port LED to Blink

kris_duffy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a method of forcing a non connected switch port LED to blink for a certain number of times regardless if there is anything connected.

The purpose of this is we have remote 3750 switch stacks and quite often have to tell non technical staff to patch to a certain port. It would be much easier if we could say "Connect it to the empty port which just started blinking orange" as the port numbers are difficult for them to see in these locations.

A similar feature is available in the ethtool package for linux which makes it really easy for identifying ports on servers. It would be great if a similar feature is available on Cisco switches.

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

dohnesor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kris,

The Nexus 5K, 7K and MDS platforms allow use of interface beacon mode:

switch(config)# interface ethernet 3/1
switch(config-if)# beacon

The beacon mode allows you to identify a physical port by flashing its link-state LED with a green light. At this stage, the feautre is not available platforms.

Hope this helps!

it is worth adding that the feature is available only on the platforms that Daniel pointed out.

There is nothing like that on the catalyst switches.

Riccardo

Hi Dohnesor,

I am curious to know if thsi command or a similar command is supported in Cisco 9K switches.

Kind Regards,

Michael

Bruce Winters
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to put in a request for this? I would like this feature also.

mt1576980
Level 1
Level 1

hi good day, did you finally found something about it? i wish i had it on my cisco switches

jules.bartow
Level 1
Level 1

Sure would be handy on Catalyst Switches --maybe an IOS firmware update?

If you have a PC plugged in, run the batch file SwitchPortBeacon.bat if there is no labels on the wallplate or patch panel.

:while1
timeout 5
netsh interface set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=disabled
timeout 5
netsh interface set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=enabled
goto :while1

Some time ago, when you set port to "shutdown" mode, port was lit orange. And I think it still works on some ports on Nexus. However does not work on Catalyst 3750X (where I need it most).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card