Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Force Switch Port LED to Blink

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if there is a method of forcing a non connected switch port LED to blink for a certain number of times regardless if there is anything connected.

The purpose of this is we have remote 3750 switch stacks and quite often have to tell non technical staff to patch to a certain port. It would be much easier if we could say "Connect it to the empty port which just started blinking orange" as the port numbers are difficult for them to see in these locations.

A similar feature is available in the ethtool package for linux which makes it really easy for identifying ports on servers. It would be great if a similar feature is available on Cisco switches.

Thanks,

Everyone's tags (4)
4 REPLIES

Re: Force Switch Port LED to Blink

Hi Kris,

The Nexus 5K, 7K and MDS platforms allow use of interface beacon mode:

switch(config)# interface ethernet 3/1
switch(config-if)# beacon

The beacon mode allows you to identify a physical port by flashing its link-state LED with a green light. At this stage, the feautre is not available platforms.

Hope this helps!

Cisco Employee

Re: Force Switch Port LED to Blink

it is worth adding that the feature is available only on the platforms that Daniel pointed out.

There is nothing like that on the catalyst switches.

Riccardo

Force Switch Port LED to Blink

Is there a way to put in a request for this? I would like this feature also.

hi good day, did you finally

hi good day, did you finally found something about it? i wish i had it on my cisco switches

Views
Helpful
Replies