cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Formatting Compact Flash

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Are there any programs I can use to format some compact flash for a 6513 where I can do it from my laptop with a reader attached?

Mike

11 Replies 11

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Mike,

You can format the cards using FAT on your PC with a CF reader or format them on the switch.

Mark

I thought formatting with standard DOS file system such as FAT will not support booting from ROMMON.

Mike

Mike,

With the SUP720 I have not had any issues with compact flash cards formatted in windows. The supervisor supports FAT 12 and 16.

HTH,

Mark

I just tried to format both Compact Flash cards and here is what I get when I try and boot from rommon.

rommon 1 > boot

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "bootflash:"

rommon 2 > boot disk0:

device does not contain a valid magic number

boot: cannot open "disk0:"

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "disk0:"

rommon 3 > boot disk1:

PCMCIA disk1: device is not initialized

open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0x0

trouble reading device magic number

boot: cannot open "disk1:"

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "disk1:"

rommon 4 >

Which format did you use in windows? What model card are you using?

Used FAT and the card is 512MB CompactFlash and I also tried 128MB....both are SanDisk.

Mike

Mike,

The only supported compact flash cards are the ones from cisco. There are some third party ones that do work. It is not recommended to use them. Did either of the CF cards work when the switch was booted?

Mark

San Disk are the Cisco ones....peal the label off and they are SanDisk. These were working and the switch was booted and now they are not...they have been working for years.

Mike

Is there another 6500 that you can use to format the cards? I'm fairly certain the cards I use were formated and files copied by my laptop.

Mark

I do not have anything else here I can use to format.....

Do you know how to format while in rommon mode?

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: