Views
Helpful
Replies

frame-relay map ip COMMAND not working on Pt-to-Pt Subinterfaces

daudparvez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to use the : frame-relay map ip command on sub-interfaces. However, I am getting the following error message:

FRAME-RELAY INTERFACE-DLCI command should be used on point-to-point interfaces

and the command is rejected.

I wonder that if this command is present in the IOS, then why does'nt get configured?

Is there some special scenario or is there some other command which is to be used for configuring this command?

Best Regards,

6 Replies 6

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

on a point-to-point subinterface only the frame-relay interface dlci can be configured.

you don't need any static mapping on a P2P interface as you can only have one DLCI to reach all destinations and this dlci is configured on the interface with the frame-relay interface-dlci command because by default all dlcis are on the physical interface.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks Alain for your reply,

My surprise is that if we cannot run the command on pt-to-pt sub-interfaces then why is this command available in IOS for these subinterfaces?

Secondly, i want to use this command to restrict/block the routing updates out the hub while i want the hub to recieve updates from the spokes. Otherwise i will have to use the distribute list which i dont want to use.

Best Regards,

Hi,

I don' know why you can type the command while it is unsupported but it is unsupported for sure.

What routing protocol are you using?

Regards.

Alain

Hi Alain,

I am using RIP v2. But is there some correlation between the Routing Protocols being used and this command?

May be this is an IOS bug.

Best Regards,

Hi,

no no correlation but as you didn't want to use distribute list I was wondering what protocol tou were using to provide you with another solution which as you use RIP would be to configure the hub with a multipoint interface.

in which case dur to split-horizon, the hub would receive the prefix from the spokes but would not pass it to the spokes.

Regards.

Alain

ebarticel
Level 4
Level 4

Also you can use tha passive interface command in rip to restrict the hub from sending updates.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card