Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay multipoint Config

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

Happy holidays!

I was trying to implement this in my Lab.

Frame Relay Multipoint config ****************

Router A config

2691Router#sh run int se0/0

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 259 bytes

!

interface Serial0/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

service-module t1 clock source internal

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 102 broadcast

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 103 broadcast

2691 Router has 2 spare Serial cards *********************

Router B config

int se0/0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.1 201 broadcast

Router C config

int se0/0

ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.1 301 broadcast

Now i have no frame relay switch and in Multipoint network all connections go to the Frame relay switch.

Is there any way i can implement multipoint config in my lab?

Thanks

MAhesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can use a router for Frame-Relay switch( so you need another one with 3 serials) otherwise you won't be able to do this config with 3 routers.

You can experiment multipoint without a Frame-relay switch but only with 2 routers.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Hi Mahesh,

Happy Holidays!

When you are using physical interfaces (which is in your case), then you use them as point-to-point.  If you are using a frame relay switch to configure point to multipoint interfaces, then you use one physical interface with multiple sub-interfaces.  For example if the serial interface is s0/0, the point-to-point sub-interface will be s0/0.100 and the next one 101, 102, etc...  This way you only pay for 1 T1, but you can use the same WIC to connect to multiple site.  Imagine a HQ  connecting to 4 different branch offices.  You can use one interface at the HQ T1 with multiple Sub-interface each connecting to a different branch office. Obviously the speed would be slow, because these are sup rates of 128Kb.

If you want to use you 2691 as a frame relay switch, you can, but I recommend you buy a cheap 2522 router and use it as a frame relay switch.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=cisco+2522+router&_sacat=See-All-Categories

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can use a router for Frame-Relay switch( so you need another one with 3 serials) otherwise you won't be able to do this config with 3 routers.

You can experiment multipoint without a Frame-relay switch but only with 2 routers.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi Cadet.

My 2691 Router has 3 serial cards

Other 2 routers have 1 serial card each.

For Multipoint config you mean that i can only test between 2691 Router and Router B ? right?

IF second serial card from Router 2691 connects to Router C  then that i can config as point to point right?

IF third serial card from router 2691 connects to Router D then that i can config as point to point right?

Also for point to point connection i can make 2691 as frame relay switch right?

Thanks

mahesh

Hi Mahesh,

Happy Holidays!

When you are using physical interfaces (which is in your case), then you use them as point-to-point.  If you are using a frame relay switch to configure point to multipoint interfaces, then you use one physical interface with multiple sub-interfaces.  For example if the serial interface is s0/0, the point-to-point sub-interface will be s0/0.100 and the next one 101, 102, etc...  This way you only pay for 1 T1, but you can use the same WIC to connect to multiple site.  Imagine a HQ  connecting to 4 different branch offices.  You can use one interface at the HQ T1 with multiple Sub-interface each connecting to a different branch office. Obviously the speed would be slow, because these are sup rates of 128Kb.

If you want to use you 2691 as a frame relay switch, you can, but I recommend you buy a cheap 2522 router and use it as a frame relay switch.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=cisco+2522+router&_sacat=See-All-Categories

HTH

Hi  Alain and Reza,

Many thanks for replying back to my question.

Thanks

MAhesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card