Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Frame Relay multipoint Config

Hi all,

Happy holidays!

I was trying to implement this in my Lab.

Frame Relay Multipoint config ****************

Router A config

2691Router#sh run int se0/0

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 259 bytes

!

interface Serial0/0

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation frame-relay

service-module t1 clock source internal

service-module t1 timeslots 1-24

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 102 broadcast

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 103 broadcast

2691 Router has 2 spare Serial cards *********************

Router B config

int se0/0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.1 201 broadcast

Router C config

int se0/0

ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0

frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.1 301 broadcast

Now i have no frame relay switch and in Multipoint network all connections go to the Frame relay switch.

Is there any way i can implement multipoint config in my lab?

Thanks

MAhesh

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Purple

Hi,

You can use a router for Frame-Relay switch( so you need another one with 3 serials) otherwise you won't be able to do this config with 3 routers.

You can experiment multipoint without a Frame-relay switch but only with 2 routers.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
VIP Super Bronze

Re: Frame Relay multipoint Config

Hi Mahesh,

Happy Holidays!

When you are using physical interfaces (which is in your case), then you use them as point-to-point.  If you are using a frame relay switch to configure point to multipoint interfaces, then you use one physical interface with multiple sub-interfaces.  For example if the serial interface is s0/0, the point-to-point sub-interface will be s0/0.100 and the next one 101, 102, etc...  This way you only pay for 1 T1, but you can use the same WIC to connect to multiple site.  Imagine a HQ  connecting to 4 different branch offices.  You can use one interface at the HQ T1 with multiple Sub-interface each connecting to a different branch office. Obviously the speed would be slow, because these are sup rates of 128Kb.

If you want to use you 2691 as a frame relay switch, you can, but I recommend you buy a cheap 2522 router and use it as a frame relay switch.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=cisco+2522+router&_sacat=See-All-Categories

HTH

4 REPLIES
Purple

Hi,

You can use a router for Frame-Relay switch( so you need another one with 3 serials) otherwise you won't be able to do this config with 3 routers.

You can experiment multipoint without a Frame-relay switch but only with 2 routers.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Community Member

Hi Cadet.

My 2691 Router has 3 serial cards

Other 2 routers have 1 serial card each.

For Multipoint config you mean that i can only test between 2691 Router and Router B ? right?

IF second serial card from Router 2691 connects to Router C  then that i can config as point to point right?

IF third serial card from router 2691 connects to Router D then that i can config as point to point right?

Also for point to point connection i can make 2691 as frame relay switch right?

Thanks

mahesh

VIP Super Bronze

Re: Frame Relay multipoint Config

Hi Mahesh,

Happy Holidays!

When you are using physical interfaces (which is in your case), then you use them as point-to-point.  If you are using a frame relay switch to configure point to multipoint interfaces, then you use one physical interface with multiple sub-interfaces.  For example if the serial interface is s0/0, the point-to-point sub-interface will be s0/0.100 and the next one 101, 102, etc...  This way you only pay for 1 T1, but you can use the same WIC to connect to multiple site.  Imagine a HQ  connecting to 4 different branch offices.  You can use one interface at the HQ T1 with multiple Sub-interface each connecting to a different branch office. Obviously the speed would be slow, because these are sup rates of 128Kb.

If you want to use you 2691 as a frame relay switch, you can, but I recommend you buy a cheap 2522 router and use it as a frame relay switch.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=cisco+2522+router&_sacat=See-All-Categories

HTH

Community Member

Hi  Alain and Reza,

Many thanks for replying back to my question.

Thanks

MAhesh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content