Replies

FRTS strange, plz help !

illusion_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi all, i took this example from wendell odom exam cert

map-class frame-relay shape-all-64

frame-relay traffic-shape 64000

now it was written in description that bc was calculation using bc = tc * cir where tc defaults to 125 ms, in which case bc should be 8000, but in the result of show traffic-shape, under "sustain bits/int" the value is 64000 !!! why is this so ? i have checked on a real router and its also giving me the same value, dont u think its strange ??

kindly tell me wat i am missing here

6 Replies 6

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

The 64kbps is the shaping rate. 8kbps is the Bc. With a Tc of 125ms, there are eight intervals per second, which comes out to 8kbps per interval x 8 intervals or 64kbps.

hi slman, but in normal CB shaping, if i only define shape average 64000, then under "sustain bits/int" showed 8000, now as the heading suggest sustain bits per "interval" then i think i should show 8000, why is it showing 64000 ?

I am afraid to see "frame-relay traffic-shape" command under map-class configuration. There is no specific command like this. Which exact command did you issue? Can you please give the configuration and "sh traffic-shape" command outputs.

Regards...

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

There are some errors in the certification documentation. I think the command should be:

frame-relay traffic-rate 64000 64000

There is no such command as:

frame-relay traffic-shape

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

You could shape from within a map-class, which would give you the Bc=8kbps with a Tc of 125ms (the default in this case). This method provides more flexibility in tuning the shaping parameters.

map-class frame-relay SHAPE_ALL

frame-relay cir 64000

frame-relay bc 8000

interface serial0/0

frame-class SHAPE_ALL

frame-relay traffic-shaping

hi all, sorry for mistyping, the command was surely frame-relay traffic-rate 64000 64000 and here is the output

R1#sh traffic-shape

Interface Se0/0

Access Target Byte Sustain Excess Interval Increment Adapt

VC List Rate Limit bits/int bits/int (ms) (bytes) Active

102 64000 1000 64000 0 125 1000 -

(i think its not properly alligned but still) kindly see under sustain bits its giving 64000 !! why ? plz i am not looking for alternate solutions, i know how to do it from normal CB shaping, all i am looking for is the meaning of why its 64000 written under sustain bits ??? why it isnt 8000 ?

see if i use normal CB shaping using this config

policy-map shape-all

class class-default

shape average 64000

int se 0/0

service-policy output shape-all

now if i issue command

show policy-map int se 0/0

then under sustain bits its written 8000 !!!! all other values are same, so i am asking why in FRTS its showing me 64000 ? where it should be 8000 dont u guys think ?, i mean no disrespect to any1 i am very thankful to those who replied but i am not looking for a alternate solution, i want to know why the output is showing 64000 and not 8000 ?

Kindly guide me in this

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card