cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP and access lists

tkatsiaounis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,i have the following problem. I want to enable my internal lan users to have access to ftp servers on the internet. I have created a set of access lists

access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq ftp

access-list 100 permit tcp any any eq ftp-data

and my users can connect to ftp login BUT when the list command is issued the connection fails. I have logged my access list output

SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP list 100 denied tcp 192.168.100.11(50493) -> 147.102.222.211(26884),/>1 packet

and i can see tha ftp automatically changes the port. How can i make it work?? I have an idea to enable traffic inspection but can i do that on a Catalyst 4507 R-E with supervisor engine V and enterprise services 12.2 IOS??? I have tried to create a class map but on the match statements ftp or port statement is missing. Is  that an IOS issue??

Anything i can do to solve the issue is very welcome.

Thanks a lot for your help.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

this issue is very likely caused by passive FTP.

When active FTP is used, the clients connect to port 20 and 21 of the FTP server.

With passive FTP, the data connection will be made between 2 ports > 1023 .

Basically, with an ACL, the only way to get around this would be by allowing :

permit tcp any any range 1023 65535

As you will understand, this will allow any TCP connection on ports > 1023.

On the Catalyst 4507 R-E, I do not believe there is a way to specifically allow passive FTP and block other traffic.

HTH,

Bert

View solution in original post

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello ,i have the following problem. I want to enable my internal lan users to have access to ftp servers on the internet. I have created a set of access lists

and my users can connect to ftp login BUT when the list command is issued the connection fails. I have logged my access list output

SEC-6-IPACCESSLOGP list 100 denied tcp 192.168.100.11(50493) -> 147.102.222.211(26884),/>1 packet

and i can see tha ftp automatically changes the port. How can i make it work?? I have an idea to enable traffic inspection but can i do that on a Catalyst 4507 R-E with supervisor engine V and enterprise services 12.2 IOS??? I have tried to create a class map but on the match statements ftp or port statement is missing. Is  that an IOS issue??

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi,

As per the logs it seems that ftp negoiation is taking greater than 1023 ports after authentication,try with the below acl

access-list 102 permit tcp any any eq 21
access-list 102 permit tcp any eq ftp-data any gt 1023

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

As Bert as already stated the reason i was late with my reply ...that why it was duplicated ..5 points to Bert !!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

this issue is very likely caused by passive FTP.

When active FTP is used, the clients connect to port 20 and 21 of the FTP server.

With passive FTP, the data connection will be made between 2 ports > 1023 .

Basically, with an ACL, the only way to get around this would be by allowing :

permit tcp any any range 1023 65535

As you will understand, this will allow any TCP connection on ports > 1023.

On the Catalyst 4507 R-E, I do not believe there is a way to specifically allow passive FTP and block other traffic.

HTH,

Bert

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks a lot for your help

Hi,

As per the logs it seems that ftp negoiation is taking greater than 1023 ports after authentication,try with the below acl

access-list 102 permit tcp any any eq 21
access-list 102 permit tcp any eq ftp-data any gt 1023

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

As Bert as already stated the reason i was late with my reply ...that why it was duplicated ..5 points to Bert !!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card