Views
Helpful
Replies

Funny Thing IP Issue

mrashby
Level 1
Level 1

All,

This is weird but maybe some out there can shed some light on this. I did a simple network scan of a subnet that is not configured on any of my networking devices. My scan results show I have machines on these addresses but the weird thing is that none of those addresses can be reached from the network switches but from my desktop I can ping the address fine. My network scan shows a MAC address for the machine but these MACs are not in any of the Cisco switches MAC address table. When I trace to one of the host it gives me results. It is like these hosts are ghosts on the network. Has anyone ever seen anything like this before. I know it sounds stupid but it is happening

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"I did a simple network scan of a subnet that is not configured on any of my networking devices."

What prompted you to do the above if you didn't think you would find anything? Is there another problem that you're trying to troubleshoot?

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

John,

Thanks for the response but IT Security finally fessed up after a day of me trying to track this down. They have a NAC in place that throws out bogus address and host name information if you are unauthorized to scan the network segments. So since having my delightful converstion with them they have added me to the list of authorized machines to scan the network. Thanks again for you quick response.

Mario

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card