Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway for VLAN traffic

Rhys Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Have several layer 3 entry level switches (sg500x). They have their default VLAN1 plus VLAN2 which I have created and trunked across two of the switches. The trunk port between the switches carries VLAN1 traffic untagged and VLAN2 traffic tagged. I need to give clients on VLAN2 a gateway onto VLAN1 when all the servers are.

I understand most will not be familiar with sg500x cli but I’m looking for concepts of how this is done e.g. do I need to assign an IP in the subnet range for VLAN2 to the trunk port and make that the gateway?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Rhys,

It looks like the default-gateway is incorrect.

can you perform this test and provide the output of IPCONFIG from the client PC?

Ping 172.16.40.20 sour vlan 1 from switch A

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Thanks & Regards, Karthick Murugan CCIE#39285

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

if the switch is operating at layer 3(ip routing enabled ) then you can give hosts in vlan2 the ip address of interface vlan 2 as their default-gateway.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks Alain

Yes running in layer3 with routing enabled and yes I have tried that. On switch A I have:

VLAN2 interface 172.16.40.10

On switch B I have:

VLAN2 interface 172.16.40.20

So clients connected to VLAN2 on switch A I give gateway 172.16.40.10 and clients in VLAN2 switch B I give gateway 172.16.40.20? I still can’t ping clients on VLAN1 on subnet 172.16.6.0/21

Hi,

Have you tried with windows software firewall turned off ?

Regards

Alain

Hi, yes all firewalls are off for testing. Clients on same vlan can ping across switches.

Hi Rhys,

can you give the output of 'show ip route" and "show ip int brief' from both the switches?

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Karthick -

switchA#show ip route

Maximum Parallel Paths: 1 (1 after reset)

IP Forwarding:          enabled

Codes: C - connected, S - static, D - DHCP, R - RIP

C  172.16.0.0/21      is directly connected                        vlan 1

C  172.16.40.0/21     is directly connected                        vlan 2

switchA#show ip int

IP Address         I/F       Type     Directed   Precedence   Status

Broadcast

------------------- --------- ----------- ---------- ---------- -----------

172.16.6.95/21      vlan 1    Static      disable    No         Valid

172.16.40.10/21     vlan 2    Static      disable    No         Valid

switchB#show ip int

IP Address         I/F       Type     Directed   Precedence   Status

Broadcast

------------------- --------- ----------- ---------- ---------- -----------

172.16.6.96/21      vlan 1    Static      disable    No         Valid

172.16.40.20/21     vlan 2    Static      disable    No         Valid

switchB#show ip route

Maximum Parallel Paths: 1 (1 after reset)

IP Forwarding:          enabled

Codes: C - connected, S - static, D - DHCP, R - RIP

C  172.16.0.0/21      is directly connected                        vlan 1

C  172.16.40.0/21     is directly connected                        vlan 2

Rhys,

Thanks for the info. We need to make sure the L2 path is fine.

Can you ping a client IP address from switch A with sour vlan 1?

ping source vlan 1

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Thanks, no I can't. Traffic will not transverse the VLANs. From VLAN1 to 2 or vice versa.

Hi,

Can you post a topology diagram.

Regards

Alain

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

From the client perspective, your hosts on both VLANs should be in their own subnet.  Ideally, they will also have a gateway address for their own subnet.

On your L3 switches, things can become a bit complex if you have more than one of your L3 capable switches running in L3 mode.  With just a few switches, simplest setup might be to run all your switches as L2 except just one.  On that one, enable L3 and define VLAN interfaces (not just the VLANs) on it.  Each VLAN interface will have the IP you've selected for the gateway.

Thanks Joseph, yes they are on their own subnet. My problem is the gateway. I will take your advice as I progress and disable L3 where I can. All switches are out of the box, configured with an interface IP and chained for the central switch which has servers and internet. Switch A and B are linked on port 3, this link is also a trunk for VLAN2. VLAN2 traffic is tagged, VLAN1 traffic untagged.

Hi Rhys,

It looks like the default-gateway is incorrect.

can you perform this test and provide the output of IPCONFIG from the client PC?

Ping 172.16.40.20 sour vlan 1 from switch A

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Hi Karthick

No reply to ping

Ipconfig of client connected to VLAN1 on switchA pinging interface connection (172.16.40.20/21) of  VLAN2 on switch 2

IP 172.16.1.47

MASK 255.255.248.0

GW – 172.16.6.90 (interface address of core switch which handles some routing off the LAN)

One thing that confuses me is that vlan2 has more than one IP address - ie VLAN2  has an interface address on switch A and an interface address on switch B (which connects the trunk ports either end). If the interface address is to be used as a gateway then when I configure dhcp clients will needsa different gateway depending which switch they are on. Something is obviously wrong here.

Rhys,

If you want one of switches to act as a gateway for the clients then you need to configure HSRP and the virtual-ip can be used for the clients.

SAMPLE CONFIG

SW1

vlan 2

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.3

SW2

vlan 2

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.3

In the DHCp server you can configure 1.1.1.3 as the default-route for the users.

Thanks

Karthick Murugan

Thanks & Regards,
Karthick Murugan
CCIE#39285

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card