Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

GBIC issue

Hi all,

Im trying to connect fiber cable between 2 3550 switches but it shows me this error:00:32:37: %GBIC-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: GBIC EEPROM data check sum failed for GBIC interface Gi0/2

00:32:37: %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in port 25 has bad crc

00:32:37: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi0/2, putting Gi0/2 in err-disable state

00:35:21: %GBIC-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: GBIC EEPROM data check sum failed for GBIC interface Gi0/1

00:35:22: %GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in port 24 has bad crc

00:35:22: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: gbic-invalid error detected on Gi0/1, putting Gi0/1 in err-disable state

2 REPLIES
bjw Silver
Silver

Re: GBIC issue

Wow,

I'd guess a bad GBIC, replace it,

Per Cisco:

1. %GBIC-4-CHECK_SUM_FAILED: GBIC EEPROM data check sum failed for GBIC interface [chars].

This message means that the GBIC module was identified as a Cisco GBIC module, but the system was unable to read vendor-data information to verify its accuracy. [chars] is the interface in which the module is installed.

Recommended Action: Remove and re-insert the GBIC module. If it continues to fail after re-insertion, it might be defective.

Blue

Re: GBIC issue

Hi, taking an educated guess, I would say that the data is being corrupted as it traverses the trunk link. hence the bad CRC check. Failed CRCs usually indicate a physical hardware issue that results in a degradation of the signal's integrity (data corruption).

Anyway, check the link below for troubleshooting 3550 switch problems, including system error messages.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps646/tsd_products_support_troubleshoot_and_alerts.html

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies