cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GE 1 Port on NME-16ES-1G-P a 17th switchport?

GET1TDONE
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2811 router with Advanced Enterprise Services, NME-16ES-1G-P, WIC-1T Serial Card, and (2x) FE ports.

I have 17 devices (servers, VoIP phone, etc.) that need to be on the same VLAN.  Essentially, I just want to use the NME-16ES-1G-P module like a switch for these devices, and then interface to the WAN via the FE0/0 port.  Is the GE 1 Port on the NME-16ES-1G-P configurable to be simply a 17th switchport to accomplish what I desire, or can it only be used for more advanced features like stacking or WAN interface?

I have to use the 2811, and I'd rather not install a switch in addition to the router.  Thanks!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/nm/hardware/installation/guide/conneths.html#wp1124285

Also, if I could add an HWIC-D-9ESW card, can it be configured to be nothing more an extension of 9 more switchports on the same VLAN as the NME-16ES-1G-P ports, or must they be separate VLANs?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html#wp1027129

Sorry if these are easy questions, I'm just getting acclimated with Cisco modules in routers like a 2811.  Thanks!

2 Replies 2

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

i am not sure i understood you correctly however, when we talk about HWIC module its completly layer 2 module which can be used only to add more switchports to the router. But when we talk about NME module its a complete switch in itself. It based on 3750 architecture and can do everything a 3750 can do that includes routing and layer 3 ports as well. Moreover you can stack it with 3750 to be used as a stack of switch.

If by gig 1 you mean the internal link b/w 2800 and NME module then it has to be either a layer 3 link or it could be a trunk link so that you have communication b.w 2800 and NME module.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

regards,

Varun

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NME-16ES-1G has 16 10/100BaseTx and 1 10/100/1000BaseTx ports.  You can connect anything you want into them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco