cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GEC Bundle Traffic

londint
Level 1
Level 1

We have just configured a GEC bundle between two interfaces on a Cat6509 and 2 x Cat 3550 over a 1GB Link.

So we have

Cat 6509 --- Cat 3550

g9/1 --- g0/1

g9/2 --- g0/2

And I was expecting the flow of traffic between the links to be evenly divided between the 2 links but the attached is what I get. It is using one link more than the other and this is what we get throughout the day.

How can I get it to be more evenly distributed?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

I've you're trying to connect two 3550's to one 6509 using just one GEC than that's not a supported/correct configuration.

GEC's can only be used two interconnect two switches, ie one or more 1GB links from one(1) switch to one(1) other switch.

Please post a "show etherchannel" output from all switches involved.

Thanks. No it is one switch at each end. One Cat 659 to one Cat3550. Thanks

On the Cat 6509

Group: 3

----------

Group state = L2

Ports: 2 Maxports = 8

Port-channels: 1 Max Port-channels = 1

Protocol: -

Minimum Links: 0

On the Cat 3550

Group: 3

----------

Group state = L2

Ports: 2 Maxports = 8

Port-channels: 1 Max Port-channels = 1

sh etherchannel load-balance

Source MAC address

Thanks

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check to see how the etherchannel load balance parameter is setup on both sides , you may have to play with it , if its set as source mac address try setting as source and destination ip . You may have to play with it to get the results you want . It will never be exactly even and depending on where the traffic is coming from or if traffic is coming from one source one side will always be higher in that case , the traffic is hashed according to the load balance parameter.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card