Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Get Duplex by SNMP on Catalyst IOS

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of the OID or MIBs to get the current Duplex of a given interface on a catalyst switch using SNMP?

CISCO-STACK-MIB::portDuplex and CISCO-C2900-MIB::c2900PortDuplexState show what the port is set to - but I am interested in what the port is actually using to communicate. eg, Half, Full, Auto-Half, Auto-Full

Thanks,

Ben

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

I thought one of those was the administered state and the other was the operational state. My NMC (Spectrum) seems to be able to read two values, but unfortunately I cannot get at the OIDs. (Spectrum works on database attributes rather than letting you see the OID directly.)

However, I do know that the attribute it calls "Duplex State" has three enumerations: halfduplex, fullduplex, or autoNegotiate. The attribute it calls "Duplex Status" has only two enumerations: halfduplex or fullduplex. And I guess those are the IODs you mentioned in your posting.

You could try setting up a switch to auto and connecting it to a PC that has forced full duplex. You should see '3' (autoNegotiate) on the administrative state and '1' (half duplex) on the operational state.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Hi Kevin,

Yes you are correct. It looks like I would have to query two SNMP values to get the info I want.

I found one other value which is the CISCO-C2900-MIB::c2900PortDuplexStatus. However, this only applies to 2900, 2950 and 3500 switches. It seems to be dropped in 3560 and 3750 switches - I guess as it has been replaced by the STACK MIB. But I can't find a status section of the STACK MIB.

That must correspond to my "Duplex State" and "Duplex Status" then. I was looking at a 2950 at the time. I do think you will have to poll two values.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For the non-2900 devices you would indeed have to rely on the CISCO-STACK-MIB:

portDuplex OBJECT-TYPE

SYNTAX INTEGER { half(1), full(2), disagree(3), auto(4), auto-half (5), auto-full

(6) }

MAX-ACCESS read-write

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION "Indicates whether the port is operating in half-

duplex, full-duplex, disagree or auto negotiation mode.

If the port could not agree with the far end on port

duplex, the port will be in disagree(3) mode."

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card