Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Getting Link-Local IP after Initial Switch Configuration

I have two 2960X switches and a 3750X switch. I am trying to configure these switches so that the 3750X switch acts as a core switch and connects to the two 2960X switches. Each of the 2960X switches will then connect to several SG-200 switches, which clients will be connected to, with the exception of one SG-200 switch, which will connect to several servers. The infrastructure does not use any routers and is not connected to the Internet or any other network.

I was able to successfully access and run the browser-based express setup on the 3750X and 2960X switches. After configuring the switches, I was able to access them at the new IP addresses I set for them. However, after I finished configuring the 2960X switch and went to change some settings on the 3750X, I have been unable to configure any of the switches. When I enter the IPs of each switch in my browser, I only get warnings that I cannot access the page from the browser. I have noticed that previously, when connected to the switches, the IP address on the client that I am using to configure the switches was in the same 10.0.1.X subnet. However, now the client’s IP address when connected to any of the switches is a link-local address - 169.254.X.X..

How can I configure the clients to get an address within the subnet? In the future, I will be using a DHCP server, but for now I am only trying to get basic configuration done and have not yet setup a DHCP server. Is a separate DHCP server my only option?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content