Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Giant frames on 6509 interface

Hello community,

our monitoring tools (LMS 4.1) are reporting high error rates on the interfaces interconnecting our backbone (6509-E running s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-18.SXF17a.bin, located on 3 sites). Traffic passing through these interfaces is encrypted (SPA-IPSEC-2G). I believe that the high error rate was first reported when encryption was enabled (unfortunately I was on maternity leave back then, so I am not really sure about this).

What I see on the interfaces is a constant increment on giants, as well as an increase on rxOversizedPkt, when issuing the "show counters int" command. The error rate seems to increase with traffic increase.

I do not see any drops or any other CRCs. I am not sure if these giants have any impact on applications or user traffic... The interface mtu is 1600.

Should I be concerned??? I read that this might be a cosmetic bug (https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/23841/show-interface-command-reports-giants-trunks-cisco-catalyst-6500-switches-running).

Any thoughts or troubleshooting tips would be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Katerina

• LAN Switching and Routing
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.