Views
Helpful
Replies

Giga Etherchannel

mon_samonte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

I would like to know if the FIBER & UTP (Catalyst 3560 Fiber SFP & 1000Base-T SFP) connection can be configured as GIGA ETHERCHANNEL?

Hope you could help me on this!!!

Regards,

Raymond

6 Replies 6

Hi,

The ports must be of the same type.

"Configure a PAgP EtherChannel with up to eight Ethernet ports of the same type"

"Configure a LACP EtherChannel with up to 16 Ethernet ports of the same type."

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.1_19_ea1/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1116631

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Massimiliano.

aijaz802
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As far as I know you can create a ether channel as long as the physical ports are having identical speed/duplex settings, irrespective of the physical media. you can bundle gigabit ethernet port from Fiber SFP and gigabit port from 1000base-t-sfp to form an ether channel.

I hope this helps...pls rate if it helps..

BR

*aijaz*

Hi aijaz,

You mean to say that it is posible to create an Gigabit Etherchannel even the media type (Fiber & UTP) is not similar???

Thanks for the help guys...

Regards,

Raymond

Hi Raymond

Yes you can do this. As long as the speed/duplex of the ports is the same you should be fine.

Jon

Thanks for your reply Sir jon.marshall.

I Haven't tried it yet but I will update you if it will work.

Thanks again to all who attend to my question.

Best Regards,

Raymond

The document "System Requirements to Implement EtherChannel on Catalyst Switches", states that in Catalyst 6500/6000 Series Switches that Run Cisco IOS Software, the Ethernet interfaces that participate in an EtherChannel can include both the copper and fiber-optic ports.

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094646.shtml#topic2

Be aware that this feature seems to be specific for platforms Cat6500 running IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card