Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP for Active/Active load balancing and BGP for Inbound load balancing

samuneer123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Can I achieve the Active/ Acive load balancing through GLBP on border rouuters in case I have two Pix Firewalls placed in Active/Passive (Failover mode)and whichever firewall is active pointing default route towards Virtual IP of configured GLBP group?

Attached is the block diagram for your reference. Say R1 and R2 are running GLBP for first hop router redundancy and for distributing traffic on both of these routers round-robin.R1 and R2 are also running BGP on two IP VPN links (terminated on GigE ports of each router) with ISP MPLS cloud. Would it be good approach if I will be load balancing the inbound traffic through BGP by adverstising one aggregate 172.21.180.0/24 (for backup) on each link and with specific 172.21.180.0/25 on one Link and 172.21.180.128/25 subnet on the other link to achieve inbound load balancing for LAN located in customer HQ.In the nutshell, I want to achieve outbound traffic load balancing taken by GLBP and inbound traffic by BGP just by advertising specific prefix instead of using other BGP attributes.

Please guide me is there any special configuration that I will be needing from ISP side for load balancing the traffic on these IP VPN links or the approach I mentioned will do my work.

Note: As per diagram the customer HQ (for example LAN: 172.21.180.0/24) will be accessing servers located in Data center which is already running BGP with ISP MPLS IP VPN cloud and advertising the Servers subnet 172.19.100.0 /24 to ISP cloud.

I will highly appreciate if someone can suggest me reliable solution keeping in mind less configuration dependency on ISP side.

1 Reply 1

samuneer123
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Can anyone please help me out here regarding this scenario.

With regards,

Sarfaraz Muneer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: