cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLBP vs. HSRP

lewwalker
Level 1
Level 1

currently, we are using hsrp protocol in a standard v topology using 6509 w/sup 720. within this design we have multiple odd and even vlans coming from our idf's into these 6509 for load balancing purpose. overall, will I receive greater divides from glbp or hsrp in my current environment. finally, if you are using glbp please provide any feedback regarding its overall performance within your network environment.

4 Replies 4

balajitvk
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Walker,

We are using both and finding the following observations.

The configuration overhead to do the loadbalancing is nil in GLBP as it is doing automatically so we find it better utilization of link as compared to default HSRP configuration.

And also serval operational modes that GLBP supports for load-balancing

1. Weighted loadbalancing

2. Host-dependent

3. Round-robin.

is providing higher flexibility on utilization of the links.

Rate if it does,

Rgs.

thanks, were already using hsrp and converted over to glbp and if so, how did the transition go for your area because my overall concerns is we have a network which supports system that can not any network interruption and introducing a new protocol and converting all the idf vlan into to a single vlan...scare the hell out me just because we don't need any additional issue with process and application not running.

Hi,

Never tried this transition.

But i think you can start removing HSRP configuration in one router for all the vlan so that traffic will go thro. other one. Configure for GLBP and once that AVG comes to active state, start removing HSRP and Configuring GBLP on the other so that traffic should take thro. this AVG while the AVF is getting ready.

Hope this logic will work.

Rate if it does,

Rgs.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card