cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

glc-sx-mm link problem?

danletkeman
Level 1
Level 1

We have pulled in our first fiber cable between two buildings and I was wondering if there is any special configuration needed to get a link going with glc-sx-mm. I have done the basic test on the fiber with an led light source and there is light coming through on the pair we have setup. I just don't get an activity/link on the sfp.

I was going to get a patch cord to get our equipment. What is the minimum length a glc-sx-mm can have for a patch cord between two switches?

8 Replies 8

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dan,

What kind of fiber? Multimode? What is the core size? And what is the modal bandwidth? These information should be listed on the fiber skin. The reason I am asking is if it is a MM, there are different maximum distance. Please see Table 1 of the link below.

Also for directly connected fiber patch cord. The minimum distance is 2 meters (~ 6 Ft.).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6577/product_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

HTH,

jerry

Its 50 micron multimode cable. We did spec it according to that site before we installed it. I'm not sure on the modal bandwidth.

Did you check out the power level of the fiber? Table 2 of the spec said if you are within 0 to -17 dBm, you should be fine.

Regards,

jerry

I'm guessing I need some kind of test equipment to check the power level?

A power meter will do it.

Also have you tested the GBIC to see if they are good?

Regards,

jerry

Ok.

Not yet, getting an LC to LC patch cable tomorrow to test the GBIC's.

Thanks,

Dan.

two quick questions are the interfaces possibly shutdown and did you try to transpose the fiber. Sometimes it is the little things.

I have tried both many times. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card