cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Global Way to enable Portfast?

gary.hostetler
Level 1
Level 1

I need to enable portfast on about 100 switches in different buildings. What is the fastest way. Even if I could do a whole switch at once.

thanks

6 Replies 6

eofelt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

IOS:

Switch(config)# spanning-tree portfast bpduguard default

(All ports that have PortFast enabled also have BPDU guard automatically enabled. )

CatOS:

set spantree portfast bpdu-guard enable

thanks,

Is there any way from Network Assistant? If not I'll use the command line.

Gary

All ports can be configured for portfast on a single switch with the command given in the above post.

To have it on all the switches, use something like the netconfigs on the Cisco works

HTH

Narayan

Sorry Gary,

I have not used Network Assistant.

I pretty sure Cisco Works can do batch type work and a lot more. See if you can Google "Kiwi Cat tools" -a free download for management.

IMO 100 isn't too much, a pain yes but not too many providing you don't have a tight change window etc.

hth, please rate

Erik

Michael Sales
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

on all the switches for exception of the 3500XL series, you can use the "int range" command. for instance:

config t

int range fa0/1 - 24(48)

span portfast

This will enable portfast on all ports 1 through 24 or 48. it's the fastest way.

you can use a script from CiscoWorks or 3rd Party app to make the changes Automated.

I hope this helps

I am ordering the latest CiscoWorks Small Business 1.5.1 version. I will wait until then. I need to get my Ciscos in shape as I need to push out the latest IOS images etc. I have 1.5 but it won't run on a 2003 server and Cisco isn't progressive enough that you can download and use an updater.

Gary

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card