any help is highly appreciated ! 

Adam 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adam,

It's nothing to worry about, and you are safe to ignore that message. The IOS complains that the bootflash: filesystem is not formatted and so it cannot guarantee that if it is necessary to store files there, including information about a crash (called the crashinfo), it will be possible to save them there. In GNS3, the bootflash: filesystem is created in a temporary file that might get erased after you stop and clean up the topology, so this error is likely to remain.

Temporarily, you can solve this problem by executing format bootflash: (if this doesn't work, try erase bootflash: ). However, as soon as you clean up the temporary files created by GNS3 for this particular topology, you'll get the error message back.

However, as I said, this is nothing to worry about in your emulated environment, and it does not affect the functionality of your IOS image in any way.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Adam,

It's nothing to worry about, and you are safe to ignore that message. The IOS complains that the bootflash: filesystem is not formatted and so it cannot guarantee that if it is necessary to store files there, including information about a crash (called the crashinfo), it will be possible to save them there. In GNS3, the bootflash: filesystem is created in a temporary file that might get erased after you stop and clean up the topology, so this error is likely to remain.

Temporarily, you can solve this problem by executing format bootflash: (if this doesn't work, try erase bootflash: ). However, as soon as you clean up the temporary files created by GNS3 for this particular topology, you'll get the error message back.

However, as I said, this is nothing to worry about in your emulated environment, and it does not affect the functionality of your IOS image in any way.

Best regards,
Peter

Hello Peter,

thank you for your time to comment ! So I can start exploring the world of CISCO from a different perspective right now :)! 

Can you please tell me is it possible based on gns3 typologies when involving virtual machines to simulate different types of attacks like DDoS , sql injection ?

Looking forward hearing from you!

Best wishes

Adam 

Hi Adam,

GNS3 is perfect to verify and learn about the functionality of different mechanisms in IOS-based routers. However, I am not sure about the attacks. I guess we need to narrow down what exact types of attacks you have in mind. SQL injection, for example, is irrelevant to routers, as IOS-based routers do not expose any kind of SQL interface - neither a socket nor an API I know of. DoS/DDoS attacks would depend on their nature. If you mean DoS by, say, injecting false routing information then by all means, this is possible. However, creating a DDoS by sending extreme amounts of requests to an attached host - that might or might not work, because there are no physical interfaces between router instances in GNS3, and so there are no realistic bandwidth limitations. There are numerous different bottlenecks in the way GNS3 operates and emulates the hardware, so the real throughput of a GNS3 topology is rather poor.

GNS3 is a learning tool... but it is not a performance testing or a device/network stress tool.

Best regards,
Peter

Thank you Peter,

that answers my question ! 

Best Regards

Adam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card