Views
Helpful
Replies

good career advice

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I was debating whether to post these questions on this forum or not. I checked to see if there is an proper forum on net pro but found none. So i take my chances to may offend someone , for that i apologise in advance.

Now I am looking for my first job, I never worked in any office before.

I know you guys have tons of experience and scores of ccnas like me working under you.

My question is being a supervisor or manager, what do you expect from your employees besides technical expertise?

what are the things or mistakes , i must avoid?

what must i do to become a good employee?

How to handle office bully?( They are every where believe me, while working odds job while going to school, i usually handle these bully by keeping silence or ignoring them,being an immigrant, i am not sure how things are done in corporate America .

Last but not the least, how to find the first networking job? Do you recommend cisco partners , employment agencies?

I understand my chances are slim as i don't have experience and not any professional certification such as ccnp(though working on it). But i got to start somewhere.

thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bmcginn
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Sarahr202,

I can provide some advice, although seeing as how this is a technical forum, I am dubious as to the appropriateness of it. I shall try to answer your questions as I can.

1. What do I expect from employees besides technical expertise?

Punctuality, respect, diligence, enthusiasm, honesty, the willingness to learn, creativity and an open mind. In most respects, if the right employee is hired, I will learn just as much from them as they do from me. So its a win win situation.

2. Mistakes you should avoid. Try not to let emotion cloud your judgment. Try not to judge people on how they work. Many people have different ways of doing things, some people are visual, using white boards etc, while some are creative and flit from subject to subject in seconds; do not make the mistake of thinking they are dumb just because they are different.

3. How to become a good employee? That's a hard one. If you have a good work ethic, you should be okay. Be yourself, don't try too hard, be sincere, be honest (use tact too) and enjoy the work. If you like the work then it helps a lot.

4. Office bully.. I've never run into that situation. I imagine the Human Resources department can help there. I know in Australia they do.. not sure about America.

5. Networking job. You can pound the pavement and hand in CVs to the companies you would like to get into and don't try to dictate the salary you want.. that probably won't help. I know of a lot of places look at the helpdesk as an entry level to this kind of work. Employee agencies may be able to help, (at least with advice on how to present your CV).

6. Slim chances? Never think that, or you're defeated before you try. Put on some thick skin, get yourself out into the industry and try your best. Persistence will pay, especially if you are continually improving yourself along the way.

Good luck with it all!

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

bmcginn
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Sarahr202,

I can provide some advice, although seeing as how this is a technical forum, I am dubious as to the appropriateness of it. I shall try to answer your questions as I can.

1. What do I expect from employees besides technical expertise?

Punctuality, respect, diligence, enthusiasm, honesty, the willingness to learn, creativity and an open mind. In most respects, if the right employee is hired, I will learn just as much from them as they do from me. So its a win win situation.

2. Mistakes you should avoid. Try not to let emotion cloud your judgment. Try not to judge people on how they work. Many people have different ways of doing things, some people are visual, using white boards etc, while some are creative and flit from subject to subject in seconds; do not make the mistake of thinking they are dumb just because they are different.

3. How to become a good employee? That's a hard one. If you have a good work ethic, you should be okay. Be yourself, don't try too hard, be sincere, be honest (use tact too) and enjoy the work. If you like the work then it helps a lot.

4. Office bully.. I've never run into that situation. I imagine the Human Resources department can help there. I know in Australia they do.. not sure about America.

5. Networking job. You can pound the pavement and hand in CVs to the companies you would like to get into and don't try to dictate the salary you want.. that probably won't help. I know of a lot of places look at the helpdesk as an entry level to this kind of work. Employee agencies may be able to help, (at least with advice on how to present your CV).

6. Slim chances? Never think that, or you're defeated before you try. Put on some thick skin, get yourself out into the industry and try your best. Persistence will pay, especially if you are continually improving yourself along the way.

Good luck with it all!

Thanks a lot for such good advice.I will keep them in mind.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: