Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Graceful solution to phantom IP conflicts on 6513 switch?

A few weeks ago, I started getting complaints of IP address conflicts on my network with my Windows 7 hosts.  When I went into the event logs I found that the conflict was with 0.0.0.0 and it sometimes listed the MAC address of the switch interface.  It seems that this is a known issue, and Cisco is blaming Windows for gratuitous ARP requests.  Why did this start just weeks or months ago out of the blue?  The article that I was reading about this problem was from October 2013, but they note that this happened with Vista too.  Was there a recent Windows update that caused this change in behavior?

I have tried to follow the suggestions in this article: http://www.cisco.com/image/gif/paws/116529/116529-problemsolution-product-00.pdf

But I can't perform the most common fixes, such as setting a delay using "ip device tracking probe delay" or "ip device tracking probe use−svi" which seems like the most logical fix.  It seems that I am being punished because I have a 6513 or a 6500 series switch.  These commands are not available to me ... and at the rate we are going, probably never will be.

I have also performed the workaround with my Windows machines to kill the gratuitous ARP.  That has resolved 90 percent of the conflicts I was seeing, but not all of them.

Has anyone else found a good fix or workaround for this problem involving 6500 series switches?

1 REPLY

This may actually be related

This may actually be related to my WCS / WLC environment.  I was reviewing old work orders this morning and I noticed that every documented case has been on our wireless network.

Views
Helpful
Replies