cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

gratuitous arp and secundary ip addresses

gnijs
Level 4
Level 4

When an interface (SVI or routed) comes up, does a Cisco switch or router send a gratuitous arp to update the arp cache of the hosts on that subnet ? I guess yes (?), BUT does he also do this for each secundary address or secundary HSRP active address that is configured on the interface ?

regards,

Geert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Geert

I set up a test of this using a pair of 1841 routers with a secondary address configured on a FastEthernet interface. The test shows that when the FastEthernet interface is taken down and brought up that the router does send a gratuitous arp for both the primary address and the secondary address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Geert

I set up a test of this using a pair of 1841 routers with a secondary address configured on a FastEthernet interface. The test shows that when the FastEthernet interface is taken down and brought up that the router does send a gratuitous arp for both the primary address and the secondary address.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your test.

Geert

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: