Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

gre alternate path

I have a remote site that has a gre tunnel to the main site used for a backup connection.

The endpoint at the main site is a 4503 switche.

I would like to creat an alternate path for the tunnel, but the route to the remote site tunel endpoint is a static route.

Is it possible to have an alternate static route even if the primary next hop is still available?

The drawing show two internet connections, but there is actually only one connection to the Internet from the remote site router.

2 REPLIES

Re: gre alternate path

hi

I am not sure how you have created a GRE tunnel between 2 private ips which is part of you local internal lan..

In normal conditions you can have different GRE tunnels via redundant paths and have static routes pointing towards them which will take care of load balancing as well as redundancy..

regds

Re: gre alternate path

Thanks for the reply,

Actually there are not two ISP's, there is only one. The drawing is supposed to show the two different paths, but the remote site has only one connection to the Internet.

But you are saying the way to do this is to create a seperate tunnel to the main site.

If I am using rip I should be able to priortize which tunnel to use also, correct?

Views
Helpful
Replies