Views
Helpful
Replies

group multicast

mfouad.jahmi
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

how to configure a group multicast for ex 224.0.0.41 ?

i have edge switches and L3 switches, do i have to implement them on all swiches ?

thx

5 Replies 5

Hi Mohamad,

Depends on where the multicast server/reciever sit? Are they on the same switch or different switches. If they span across different switches then you need to enable multicast routing on those switches where you have the multicast source/receivers.

Let us know if you want further info and also a diagram of your network would be good to help you more

HTH

Kishore

hi,

the DHCP server resides on one of the edge switches and all devices to belong to the same vlan are intsalled accross the other edge switches.

in this case do i have to configure ip multicast on the interface vlan ?

also what are the commands in order to do that ?

thanks kishore

Hi Mohamad.

I set up a similar one last week.

If its INTRA vlan multicast then all you need to do is enable PIM on the vlan interface.  The config is as follows

L3 switch

ip multicast-routing

int vlan

ip pim dense-mode

L2 switches

ip igmp-snooping

This should be enuff.

HTH

Ksihore

hi,

much appreciated.

i configured whats above. so in this case no need to staticlly configure ip multicat 224.0.1.41 ?

how to troubleshoot multicast for vlan# is properly workign fine ?

thanks alot

Well the source sends to that multicast group address and the receivers simpky join that group.

So you dont need to do anything extra. I would recommend using the 239.x.x.x range as its a private multicast group.

But if you need to use that 224 address then go for it

please see below for some handy commands and all for treoubleshooting

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094b55.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk828/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093f21.shtml

HTH

Kishore

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card