cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

has anyone seen this cabling issue?

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

We purchased a bunch of what is supposed to be CAT6 rated patch panels from Tripp Lite

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=2704

But when certifiying the connections after puch-down, all EVEN ports fail. The is consstent across all the panels.

If I hook up a workstation to one of these ports and connect to the switch, the port reads down/down with no link light.

All cables are patched down the same way.

What could possibly be the issue here?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

I am guessing Layer 1.  Might be asking the obvious here, but have you verified they are punched down correctly?   Down/down is always layer one.  IMO, they are either punched down wrong on the pp (patch panel) or end points...odds are heavy in the patch panels favor.  Unless a whole bad pp, but I have never seen that....not to say it cant happen though.  Also make sure the ports on sw are not admin down.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

I am guessing Layer 1.  Might be asking the obvious here, but have you verified they are punched down correctly?   Down/down is always layer one.  IMO, they are either punched down wrong on the pp (patch panel) or end points...odds are heavy in the patch panels favor.  Unless a whole bad pp, but I have never seen that....not to say it cant happen though.  Also make sure the ports on sw are not admin down.

TIMOTHY BENKULA
Level 1
Level 1

If it's only the EVEN ports failing and only the even, then I suspect that maybe they mislabeled the color code for the even numbered ports or the person doing the punching mixed using 568A and 568B.

Well it is mostly working (tests out at 1Gbs), and workstations are not connecting

For some reason the odd ports certify to full 10Gbs (CAT6) but fail on the evens.

A Leviton panel does not have this problem--so it is vendor-related

Could it simply be a matter of being off in position on the Patch panel? I had a contractor not too long ago that went by position on the patch panel rather than following color coding and about half way through he missed a slot. It made all the remaining terminations partially fail. In our case we were terminating 2-wire voice and not 4-pair cat5 but just a thought.

Brent

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: