cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help configuring a Cisco CIGESM module in an IBM Blade Center.

kylejmcdonald
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have an IBM BladeCenter with a Cisco CIGESM switch module. This module runs IOS, which I'll admit I don't know much about.

I've cabled all four external ports (g17-g20) to four ports on a Linksys SRW2048. On the Linksys, I've grouped those 4 ports in a Link Aggregation Group, and enabled LACP.

I can't find a way to set the equivalent configuration on the CIGESM modules Web Interface. I also tried the command line, but I haven't stumbled on the right commands yet.

Can anyone give me some hints or tips?

-Kyle

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You put those commands on the ports themselves , the best way to do it is to use the interface range command and put it on all the ports you want in the channel group at once. Once you add those commands it automatically creates the interface portchannel . All IOS switches create port channels the same way , if the 6513 is a hybrid box then thats a different story. "channel-group x mode active" actually goes on the interfaces and that creates the port channel .

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have never used the GUI to do these or any other cisco switch but I know the switches support both LACP and PAGP for etherchannel aggregation. If doing command line just add the the following " channel-group 1 mode active " .

Hi,

Thanks, but I'm still missing something.

That command looks like it will enable the group once it is created, but I'm still not sure how I define the group to contain ports g17, g18, g19, and g20?

Where do I pick between LACP and PAGP?

Thanks Again,

-Kyle

If you are talking about the GUI afraid I can't help there . CLI wise when you use the command channel-group X mode active" that makes it LACP , if pagp it would be channel-group X mode desirable silent or non-silent .

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kyle,

What Glen has mentioned is the right way to configure the port-channel on the blade switch. Please use the link below for understanding and configuring the ether-channels on balde switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/blades/cgesm/software/release/12.2_25_se/configuration/guide/CGESMSCG.pdf

regards,

-amit singh

Ok. I'll read that, thanks!

Glenn, I'm talking about the Command Line, the Web GUI doesn't have any way to do this. Though I did finally stumble on a way to do this in CNA - It wasn't obvious though, I had to click a link in the help window to get the window up, I couldn't find a menu or button for it anywhere.

I guess what I couldn't understand was why there wasn't any mention of ports I wanted in the group. If I'm enabling channel group 1, how does the switch know that group 1 is made up of 17, 18, 19, and 20?

Thanks Amit, Thanks Glenn, this info has been helpful.

-Kyle

Another question if I can?

I want to use another LAG for the uplink from the Linksys SRW2048 to the Lab Cat6513.

Are the commands to setup the LAG going to be pretty much the same on the 6513?

The Blade Switch module has a limit of 6 Channels, What is the limit on a big switch like the 6513? Is it for the Chassis? or the switch card in the chassis?

Thanks again!

-Kyle

You put those commands on the ports themselves , the best way to do it is to use the interface range command and put it on all the ports you want in the channel group at once. Once you add those commands it automatically creates the interface portchannel . All IOS switches create port channels the same way , if the 6513 is a hybrid box then thats a different story. "channel-group x mode active" actually goes on the interfaces and that creates the port channel .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card