cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help:how to configure a 2610 router as frame-relay switch+term server?

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Folks, imagine I am building a lab in which I am trying to use a 2610 as a frame-relay switch and also making same router as my terminal server. Is it possible to use VRF and accomplish that? I know how to configure the router as a frame-relay switch, but it is not clear to me how to do that using VRF. Can someone point me to the initial configuration on how to do that or point me to a whitepaper? On the router I attempted the below but that does not work:

2610#config t

2610(config)#ip vrf MYFRAME

2610(config)#rd 1:1

-> from here it is not clear on how to setup the frame-relay switch under this VRF.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marlon,

Regarding the Frame Relay switching, it has nothing to do with VRFs. VRFs are concerned with IP forwarding. Frame Relay is "below" IP - it is a Layer2 technology - so there is no point for creating VRFs for FR switching.

Regarding the configuration, have a look at this example:

configure terminal

frame-relay switching

!

interface Serial0/0

encapsulation frame-relay

frame-relay intf-type dce

frame-relay route 102 interface Serial0/1 201

no shutdown

!

interface Serial0/1

frame-relay route 201 interface Serial0/0 102

no shutdown

!

end

This will create a permanent virtual circuit between S0/0 and S0/1 interface with DLCIs 102 and 201, respectively.

Regarding the terminal server - what exactly are you trying to achieve? Your router has only one console and one aux port, that's not much of a terminal server.

Oh, and about those VRFs - they are often supported only in newer IOS versions (like 12.3) that may be hard to get for 2610 series or that may be quite memory-hungry.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Marlon,

Regarding the Frame Relay switching, it has nothing to do with VRFs. VRFs are concerned with IP forwarding. Frame Relay is "below" IP - it is a Layer2 technology - so there is no point for creating VRFs for FR switching.

Regarding the configuration, have a look at this example:

configure terminal

frame-relay switching

!

interface Serial0/0

frame-relay route 102 interface Serial0/1 201

no shutdown

!

interface Serial0/1

frame-relay route 201 interface Serial0/0 102

no shutdown

!

end

This will create a permanent virtual circuit between S0/0 and S0/1 interface with DLCIs 102 and 201, respectively.

Regarding the terminal server - what exactly are you trying to achieve? Your router has only one console and one aux port, that's not much of a terminal server.

Oh, and about those VRFs - they are often supported only in newer IOS versions (like 12.3) that may be hard to get for 2610 series or that may be quite memory-hungry.

Best regards,

Peter

I am sure the 2511 is an 'access server' if proper network module is installed. Not sure if the 2600 can function as a terminal server...

I thought so too. I guess the person who told me that the frame-relay "switch" configuration could be configured under a VRF got confused I guess. All I am trying to do is get a cheap terminal server and it seems a 2511 can be the device I need.

Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: