Views
Helpful
Replies

Help me to choose Right Core switches and Edge switches as per my Spec

shameemk.m
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All

Please help me to choose Core and Edge switches and all required hard ware and software. 

the spec details as per below 

Core Switches

1. High performance, highly scalable core switch to provide multi-10GE connectivity to various segments in the network.

2. Switch should have redundant switch fabric and routing engines or management / supervisor modules

3.should have separate control and forwarding planes

4.Each switch should have redundant power supplies in N+N or N+1 fashion

5. Must allow for two spare slots once services, management, processing modules and line cards populated

6. Easy to manage firmware- i.e. single code type enterprise/service provider) or train, and robust operating system

7. Supports for the VRRP, NSR, GRES, BFD, STP, MSTP, RSTP, VSTP, LACP redundancy protocols

8. Hot plugging and removal 

9. The switch should have native switching architecture with up to sufficient performance such that the loss of one switching fabric should not lead to degraded performance

10. Switch should support switching at least 400Mpps

11. Switch should be able to support 40 10Gig line rate ports in a fully redundant configuration 

12. Chassis that can scale to 700 Gbps

13. The proposed Backbone switch should support, but not be limited to the following Layer 3 features:

• Static ip routing
  • Routing information protocol (RIP) and RIP2
  • Open shortest path first (OSPF)
  • IGMP v1, v2 and v3
  • IGMP Snooping 
  • IP multicast routing protocol 

14. The switch should support the following features at a minimum:

• Spanning Tree 802.1D, 802.1S, 802.1W
  • GVRP
  • 802.1x single and multi-supplicant: VLAN and ACL assignment
  • Dynamic ARP Inspection (DAI), DHCP snooping, IP Source gurard
  • LLDP, LLDP-MED
  • 802.3X, 802.3ad
  • Redundant Trunk Group (RTG)
  • IGMP snooping 
  • Unicast static, OSPF v1/v2, RIP v1/v2
  • Multicast IGMPv1/v2, PIM
  • Graceful Route Engine Switchover 

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your RFT looks like a specification for a non-VSS Sup720.

Personally, I'd be looking at the 6807-X.

Some people have been waiting for the EoL/EoS announcement for the 6500E switch. 

Dear Leo Laohoo

If you don't mind can i have your contact no to discuss about this more pls. 

what your provided, really it is not enough to me to prepare the BOQ

If you don't mind can i have your contact no to discuss about this more pls. 

No. 

what your provided, really it is not enough to me to prepare the BOQ

I can throw this statement back at you.  The information you've provided doesn't mean much (to me).   You only gave information about a switch.  What you envisioned is a single unit (not a chassis).  Your RFT is skewed on a chassis.  What you want to give to your client and what your client wants are two different things.  

Dear Leo Laohoo

i do agree with you, not much information i provided u before.

please find the attached files, for the full details. it shows how they want there network and how many IDF we have, also point counts. 

we are already done the fiber up links, establish connection from MDF to  all IDF with 2 fiber connection from 2 core switch. 

we designed like each core switch from each IDF one fiber connection. and each idf get 1,2,3 or 4 switches.  

we have done the BOQ using HP, i attached here for your reference.

if you need any other information please let me know. 

Really thank you for your support. 

Dude ... You just attached a CLASSIFIED and CORPORATE CONFIDENTIAL document in a public forum!  

Remove the corporate-related details IMMEDIATELY (like the name of the company/organization)!

yes i did

This sounds like a pretty big project from what I can tell after reading your requirements above.  And I really think for a project like you need to get hold of your Cisco rep/sales engineer(s) (they will be happy to help you out since you are looking to get Cisco gear), consult with them and possibly hire a third party consultant.  And then what they suggest you can post it in the forum to get what other engineers think of that solution. 

I have gone through your document and I am surprised to see MORE information in the document than what you've posted.  I am so mildly suspicious about the authenticity of the document and spreadsheet you've attached.  

So far, based on this document, the client wants a chassis that can support up to 700 Gbps backplane.  The only candidate, other than a full-blown Nexus solution, is the 6807-X.  

Next, the document also states dual supervisor card with two spare slots.  Good luck trying to get that much empty space on a 6807-X.  This means 6509E.  You can't use a 6513E because of line-card-to-slot limitation.  

If you look under the heading "Edge Switching", the first sentence already makes references to 6800ia switch.

There's also a reference stating that the product should have a 100 Gbps backplane.  You can take the 6509E chassis out of the equation.  

So you see, I am suspicious about the authenticity of the document.  I agree with mali's and devil's recommendation that if you are serious, you would be engaging Cisco SE/AM in your region.  There are only three reasons, that I can think of, why you've posted this here.  One of them is the intended purpose of this document (and the audience).

shameemk.m
Level 1
Level 1

Please, Can any one help me on this

Read my response below this post.  

I am not sure what you else are looking for.

hello

thank you for the information, but still it is not enough

can you help me to choose complete (chassis, Supervisor Card, line card etc) as per given spec 

11. Switch should be able to support 40 10Gig line rate ports in a fully redundant configuration 

Go HERE for 10 Gbps line cards supported by older Sup720.

Go HERE for 10 Gbps line cards supported by the newer Sup2T.

Your choice here will dictate on the size of the chassis you will need.

The specifics of #11 is leaning towards 6807-X chassis but gets contradicted by #5.   You cannot use a 6513 chassis because you can only use 10 Gbps line card in slots 9 to 13.  

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are you a network engineer or architect?

My guess would be no.

The spec you want us to give you should have been designed by someone who has experience in networking as there is far more to an enterprise network design than just the spec of the core and edge switches.

Sounds like you are out of your depth.

Either hire a contractor to come in and do the design/install or go via a Cisco Reseller and get help from them.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card