Views
Helpful
Replies

Help me to troubleshoot LAN issue - data transfer

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

I have posted another similar question but I have found something, that Im hoping someone may help

When transferrign files from a windows pc to a windows pc from my office to a remote site the transfers are fine, however when I transfer files from a hpux server 172.31.69.2 to the client the speed is very very slow over the same wan link. However on the local network lan that the server is on its fine.

I have a capture of the transfer, and can see that the DF bit is set to 1 from the server, and its saying bad crc errors "oversize frame" and its retransmitting all the time.

Can anyone help by looking at the capture

capture file.jpg

11 Replies 11

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Carl,

Could you please check what is the speed and duplex configured on the server 172.31.69.2? If this is set to auto change that to 100/Full or 1000/full and configure the same speed setting on the switch port manually rather than switch auto negotiating them.

Hope that should help.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Make sure jumbo packets aren't enabled on the servers NIC if your network is not configured for it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Please rate all helpful posts. Was the issue resolved? (Mark as "Answered")

We have checked the hpux server and the mtu is set to 1500,

both the server and switch are set to auto auto for speed and duplex and are running 1000 full

any other ideas ?

Hi Carl,

Try manually configuring them to 1000 full on both server end and switch end. That should fix it

Hope that should help.

Regards

Najaf

hi

but nothing has changed on the network or server, and its been happening for only a few weeks now! no errors on the ports etc.

Is the capture anything to go by ?

So the transfer from the server was working fine over the WAN and it recently stopped working just to confirm?

Yes this is correct, when I say WAN, its a 100meg ethernet connection

No other performance issues on this link.

cheers

Hi Carl,

I understand that nothing has changed... But still i feel it would worth a try to reconfigure the both speed and duplex manually on both server and switch end. Believe me this will improve the performance.

Hope that should help.

Regards

Najaf

Hi there

The issue is only when we are on other sites, if we connect from the HQ from another vlan to the server its fine, however any of the sites which connect via 100Meb ethernet all seem to have the same issue.

what could this be ? as there is no issue on the other sites and the links are fine!

can anyone find anything in the capture ?

From your original post you see df bit set, can you disable this and see if something in the parh is fragmenting the packet. Fragmentation can only happen on an l3 interface and is done in sw. You find the device pinting then you can verify mtu in the path of the paket. Check for features such as mss-adjust which will limit your packet size. Also do u have a tunnel in this path? You have to account for encap overhead.

Hth,
Dale

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Are all the ports pretty much hard coded that are in this path or setup auto/auto?  Can you confirm if all ports are showing up as Full Duplex and none are showing half duplex including your WAN connection from both ends.  Check the link utilization also when you try the transfer.  Are you using sftp to do the transfer?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card