Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help needed to troubleshoot UDP transfer issue

Hi All,

I'm facing a strange issue, Data transfer through UDP is very slow wheras data transfer through TCP is very fast for the same source and destination.

I have the wireshark output captured from the client and server. Can anybody help me to know how much bytes of data is getting transfered with the help of wireshark output

I could see the UDP, length as 1464, Does it mean 1464 bytes if data getting transfered betweeen client and server?

Regards,

Thiyagu

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

The theoretical maximum payload for UDP is as follows:

ip mtu 1500 minus 20 bytes ip header (without options) minus 8 bytes UDP header equals 1472 bytes of data.

Your transfer is slightly less but that is probably not the problem.

Depending on the application, it can be that every UDP packet must be acknowledged before sending the next one.

If your round trip time is long (>20ms) this has a big impact on the effective througput.

Taking the above example value, no more than 1000ms / 20=50 packets (50 x 1472 bytes=73,6k) can be transferred per second.

TCP handles this superior because it can send multiple packets before requiring an ACK.

This likely explains the difference in througput.

UDP is only faster when the round-trip delay is small, i.e. the hosts are on the same local LAN.

regards,

Leo

gfcisco31
Level 1
Level 1

Friend...

I would configure IP sla in the endpoints with UDP echo and monitor it, use the same port used by application of course.

Also you could run a ip sla for TCP and then compare.... this is probably something with the application, but just to make sure IP sla can show you if it might be something with the network devices or not.

Hope this helps..

Please, rate helpful posts.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Leo's post accurately describes a common WAN performance difference between UDP and TCP applications.

On a LAN, it's possible a UDP application might run much slower since it might be more involved with the network processing.  If the application has to ACK individual packets, but if the application has poor resource priority, it could run slower than TCP, where the TCP stack would ACK packets, perhaps with better resouce priority.

On both LAN and WAN, TCP applications are more likely to deal with in-path lower MTU than a UDP application.  If this happens, i.e. IP packet fragmentation, UDP might be slowed vs. TCP.

ftomek
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with UDP low transfer. Btest by MikroTIK shows about 10% of access link on UDP and 80% of access link on TCP. I have 3560G - 1GE SX - 2960 (100Mb). Tests were made from 3560 to 2960. When test stations are in he same switch UDP tranfer is high.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card