cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help needed upgrade catalyst 6506

pbogaerts
Level 1
Level 1

Can i upgrade a chasis 6506 with a sup720-3B + WS-X6724-sfp + WS-X6148A-GB. What is the difference between the chasis 6506 and the 6506-E

Thanks,

Peter

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

buchholr
Level 1
Level 1

Yes,

You need to upgrade to a "high-speed" fan tray (WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2) and your power supplies need to be 2500W or higher.

However, the 6148A card will see no performance increase. These cards are built with an 8 to 1 over-subscription, and are intended for wiring closet applications.

There are some enhancements to the backplane in the E chassis, and they can support more than 4000 W of power.

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

buchholr
Level 1
Level 1

Yes,

You need to upgrade to a "high-speed" fan tray (WS-C6K-6SLOT-FAN2) and your power supplies need to be 2500W or higher.

However, the 6148A card will see no performance increase. These cards are built with an 8 to 1 over-subscription, and are intended for wiring closet applications.

There are some enhancements to the backplane in the E chassis, and they can support more than 4000 W of power.

Rob

Thanks Rob, but i thought that it was possible to make a etherchannel to other catalysts like the 4500 ? I would like to make an etherchannel between a copper sfp and this car

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card