I have 2 x Cisco 3750G 24 port switches in a stack:

sh switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0000.1234.5678

H/W   Current

Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1       Master 0000.1234.5678     5      0       Ready

2       Member 0000.0910.1112     1      0       Ready

I now need to add a 3rd switch, I have a Cisco 3750G but the 48 port model and have just upgraded the firmware to the same level as the other 2, but How can I provision it so it's a member and I see the 3/0/1 - 3/0/48 port range, I'm just worried the it will become the master?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I have 2 x Cisco 3750G 24 port switches in a stack:

sh switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0000.1234.5678

H/W   Current

Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1       Master 0000.1234.5678     5      0       Ready

2       Member 0000.0910.1112     1      0       Ready

I now need to add a 3rd switch, I have a Cisco 3750G but the 48 port model and have just upgraded the firmware to the same level as the other 2, but How can I provision it so it's a member and I see the 3/0/1 - 3/0/48 port range, I'm just worried the it will become the master?

Thanks

Hi,

Check out the below link for creation and management for switch stacking in cisco 3750 switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Thanks, if my new switch has to have a lower priority number the 5 which is my master, does it have to be different or the same as my second switch which has a priority of 1?

Thanks

rtjensen4
Level 4
Level 4

Default priority is 1;

The "Online" switch with the highest priority is the Master.

If you're first switch goes down, the next highest priority takes over as master.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#pval

This link has a good overview of the process.

I've never stacked switches without first provisioning them in the stack like this:

switch n provision 
switch 3 provision ws-c3750-48ts

If you do that, it will create the ports Fa3/0/1 - 48 even if the switch isn't in the stack yet. You can configure the ports and then add the switch to the stack and you should be golden if the IOS images match up.

I will take a look (can view page on mobile), so my first switch is my master and has a priority of 5, my second switch is set to priority 1, I guess I can just set my new switch to 2? That way it still is just a member and won't cause an issue with the master switch?

You won't have to do anything to it actually. It'll have a priority of 1, which is lower than the priority of the current Master which is 5. It will just be added as a member just like switch 2. It's ok for them to have the same priorities.

Great! I can then provision and configure all the ports then add the switch at a later date as I would prefer to do it out of hours just in case.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card