Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with basic Network design

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a number of small/medium sized offices dotted around in our country. Currently we have an MPLS connecting the remote offices. The lowest bandwidth to any office is 2Mb. The problem I have is the we have static router entries in each office router to make them aware of other subnets that are present in the other offices.

This current situation has become quite painful of late. I would like to replace this with a routing protocol, whereby an update of one router would automatically be distributed to all other offices. The solution should need use much bandwidth. All our routers are Cisco based. So I'm looking at a link state routing protocol.

Could someone please share some advice with regards to this.

Thanks in advance

Dan

7 Replies 7

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

I believe the replacement of static route to dynamic routing protocol is due to the troubleshoot and maintenance issue.

I suggest to check w/ the telco, what dynamic routing protocol is supporting (e.g. EIGRP, BGP, OSPF, RIP, etc.). I recommend EIGRP -> BGP -> OSPF. You select the supported routing protocol due to minimize the route redistribution in your router.

When you enable the dynamic routing protocol, it should not be an impact to your current network. You have min. 2Mbps bandwidth in each office, it is far more than enough for standard routing update traffic.

Therefore, check w/ telco, decide the protocol and configure is fine.

Moreover, please be remember to backup the existing config before the modification, and better to pararllel run both static and dynamic routing protocol for a short period of time to ensure the routing update can be updated to the remote. Better to test it in lab before actual implementation.

Hope this helps.

in continuation with jack's update.... if all the devices are cisco then i think EIGRP is better than OSPF and also the convergence is less.... as jack told take the backup of all devices and if possible raise a tac with CISCO, so that they can help you in the configuration if needed... all the best... :)

Most of the telcos would ask you to run BGP with them and redistribute all your routes on it.

They will probably assign you a private AS number and you would be required to Peer with te telco router and exchange routes.

The 2MB bandwidth is more than what is required to run a routing protocol.

Just make sure you have the support of the routing protocol in your IOS

Narayan

In additional to Yvk's response. You can search most configuration samples in Cisco web and please get the sample config. from the telco of the routing protocol configuration to communicate to their network. I recommend to open TAC case if there is a problem and not able to find solution in Cisco web. Just my 2 cents. ;)

Hope this helps.

Hi... is your network all point to point networks ie is all sites connected to other sites via a dedicated 2mb line or via any cloud like MPLS???

Many Thanks everyone for your help.

In annswer to one of the replies we have an MPLS Cloud. I was inclined to EIGRP before but just needed a sanity check. I'll try and get this up and running.

Thanks again

Dan

Dan... then according to the young... ask the serviece provider and do the configurations.....

please arte all posts....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card