cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

help with Cisco 1841 Router

naveen0509
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help with setting up routes for the internet. Right now we have the router in the remote site and the way it connects, is T1 goes from main office to remote site and then from router to a switch to everyone in the office. Also the internet goes on that route. We have put in a new internet provider for that site due to speed. Now i want all the internet traffice to come through the new cable modem via switch and the remaining traffic still routes from cisco 1841 back to main office for network and email pruposes.

i have a following attachments for review. Any help would be greatly appreciated

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

From your diagram, suggest you connect the Internet cable/modem to the 1800, use just a single default route to it.

PS:

You might also consider, at both sites, originate the default route into your EIGRP domain. Each site should go to nearest Internet connection, but if either sites loses its Internet connection, and it's default is withdrawn, other site could at least still have Internet access via the other.

Hi, can you give me an example. I just attach couple of attachments for you to review. If you can send me what i need to configure in the router, that would be great.

Hard to know exactly what you need to configure since it's not clear what the cable/modem supports. For instance, you show an ipconfig from a win client?

Currently on your router, when you pull the default route to the main site, Internet fails because the router doesn't know where "72.43.58.1" is.

Does the cable/modem have a static IP or dynamic IP? What device will handle NAT from private IP address space (192.168.x.x) to public IP address space?

As a guess, connect the cable/modem to the unused Ethernet port on the 1841, configure "ip address DHCP" on that interface, turn modem off/on, see what shows on that interface.

Hi, The cable modem have a dynamic ip and not static. I did configure FastEthernet0/1 for the Cable modem and got it up, but the moment i take the

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.15.1 out

i have no internet and i am just confused as to why the router cannot see the time warner modem route and send internet traffic out.

When the router link came up, did it acquire an IP? If so, likely the router can use that Internet path, but for your other hosts to do so will likely require NAT configured on the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: