Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with default-information originate

boe boe
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm currently bus with RIPv2 and I get the hole picture, except default-information originate!

What does it do?

I searched on the internet and found something on default route to the ISP??

All the suggestions and answers are welcome!!

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In general default-information originate will generate a default route which the routing protocol can advertise to its peers. This concept is used by several routing protocols.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

But if you add ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 ip-address.

Then you have a default route right?

So what is the advantage?

You must distinct between static and dynamic routing...this what you did say is static routing (default route offcourse) but, as Rick stated, "default information originate" is used in dynamic routing protocols environments for generating default route and propagating that to peers...

Try playing with that one in GNS3 for example...different routing protocols behaves differently in using this command

It can be interesting for lab scenarios...

HTH,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi boe,

In addition to the answers given already, let me put it this way:

The ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 command tells the very router on which it is configured how to reach all unknown networks. This command has an influence on the router on which it is configured. It has no effect on any other router except the one configured with it.

The default-information originate tells RIP running on your router to also advertise the default route to your RIP neighbors. They can learn about your default route via RIP and send packets bound for internet to you, and you will know how to forward them further thanks to your own ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 command. This command has no impact on the routing done by the router on which it is configured - instead, it causes all other routers to learn about you being a potential exit point towards the internet.

So the default-information originate allows you (as a router) to tell all other routers how to get to the internet - through you. The ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 tells you and you alone what to do with packets destined to internet after your neighboring routers have forwarded them to you.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card