cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with NAT

southminder
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am a student learning Cisco at school and so I decided to buy myself 2 routers to have at home to configure and play around with at my leisure. I have a 2501 model and a 2514 model, I know they are old but they work for what I need them to.

Anyways, I got them setup to talk to each other over the serial connection and I can ping across the network from E0 of one router to E0 of the other. However, now I was wanting to hook up one router to the internet so that I could actually surf the net on a pc connected to e0 so that I could play around with ACL's and things like that.

I can ping the cable companies gateway directly connected to the E0 of Router A from router A but I cannot ping that same gateway from Router B, although I can ping Router A's E0 just fine.

I've been reading some of the forums online about this and some people suggested about using the "ip nat" command in "conf mode" but when I try that, it gives me an error basically saying that it doesnt know what the "nat" part of that command is. I got reading some more about it and it seemed other people where having the same troubles and some suggested that it might be the flash version that they are using. The versions on my routers are 11.1 and 10.3, could this be a problem? I know these routers are outdated but is it possible to still upgrade the flash to version 12, if that is even the cause of the problem or would there be another way of setting this up without upgrading the flash version?

2 Replies 2

ip nat command was introduced in version 11.2. Try loading 11.2 or later version. If you don't have sufficient flash/memory you should be able to procure them, it shouldn't be that expensive, from ebay or vendor selling refurbished hardware.

HTH

Sundar

Okay, so I think I can figure out to upgrade the flash but first, which file/ISO should I download?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card