Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

help with switch cluster

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie so forgive my ignorance.

I have 2 vlans i need to propogate across 5 3550 switches all of which are gigastacked. Do i configure the trunking on the actual gigabit ports? Or do i have to trunk over fa ports? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your patience.

1 REPLY

Re: help with switch cluster

When you say gigastacked, do you mean that you've connected the 5 switches together via the gig ethernet ports? You can trunk either the gig or fast ethernet ports in this case. If it were me, I would trunk the gig ports. The port you're trunking of course has to actually be physically connected to another device of course (which ever port/ports are connected via ethernet or fiber) with the same encapsulation on either side, etc. As far as vlan propogation, that's simple enough. Just make sure they are all in the same VTP domain, one is set to server, and the rest are set to client (or transparent of course if you need it to retain it's own vlan information.)

Views
Helpful
Replies